Fast Facts 2016: Strengthening Participatory and Accountable Governance Project
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) initiated Strengthening Participatory and Accountable Governance Project, as part of its Parliament, Civil Society and Human Rights Programme.
Aiming to strengthen the operational, outreach, legislative and oversight capabilities of Iraq’s Council of Representatives (CoR) and selected Provincial Councils, the Project focuses on three thematic areas: Decentralization, national and community reconciliation, and inclusive participation in public policies.
The Fast Facts sheet summarizes key results achieved in 2015.
- 150 officials and representatives of CSOs received training in different areas
- 31 CSOs have been capacitated to advocate for protection of human rights and against corruption
- 21 CSOs established Human Rights Advisory Board to be the first institutionalized mechanism for engagement with the Council of Representatives
- A Strategic Framework for National and Community Reconciliation has been developed as part of UNDP’s commitment to support Iraq’s transition towards reconciliation
- A network has been established with Arab Regional Parliaments to advocate for decentralization