Candidates must comply with the following requirements:
- Age: 22-29 years old at the time of the application
- Education: At least a bachelor degree completed at the time of the application
- Languages: Fluency in English and Kurdish; Arabic and other official UN languages are an asset
- Nationality: Iraqi nationals only
- Others: Evidence of direct community engagement, either by volunteering and/or work in social/community issues; links with under-privileged areas in the Kurdistan Region either by living or working in those areas
Please note that each volunteer assignment will have its own requirements in terms of academic background and previous work experience. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Who can participate in the programme?
- What is a UN Volunteer?
A UN Volunteer is a professional who decides to contribute time and efforts to peace and development programmes offered the United Nations. There are currently more than 7,000 UN Volunteers making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- I am currently working for the UN, can I be considered?
Yes, you can.
- What is the difference between a national and international UN Volunteer?
A national UN Volunteer holds the nationality of the country where the assignment is taking place. An international UN Volunteer comes from another country to volunteer in a different country.
About the process
- How many assignments will be available?
This year, twenty (20) assignments will be available. During the first in-take, ten will be advertised, and after two months the second batch of ten opportunities.
- When is the deadline?
It varies for each opportunity, but normally the deadline is within two weeks from advertising the assignments. All application documents need to be submitted before the deadline, or the application cannot be considered.
- How do I fill an application?
Advice is provided about what we we are looking for in each application; we have created “How to Apply” guildelines that will allow you to follow the process. Please download from this page (top of the right trail).
About the programme
- What is the aim of the volunteer's programme in KR-I?
The aim is to provide an opportunity to talented and highly committed youth to spend one year volunteering in the United Nations system in Iraq.
- Are there any trainings that the selected participants will attend?
All selected candidates will participate in trainings aiming at develop UN competencies and skills. Each participant will be evaluated and will work with a mentor along a learning plan.
- What happens when the programme ends?
Participants will be trained to become competitive to apply for jobs within the United Nations system, national and international NGOs, and the Kurdistan Regional Government.
- Do UN Volunteers receive any financial and/or other benefits?
The key benefit of being a UN Volunteer is the personal satisfaction the volunteer assignment brings to you as you make a positive impact on peace and development. However, we support you during your assignment in several ways, e.g. through a monthly volunteer living allowance, annual leave, or medical insurance.
- Are there any other entitlements?
In addition to the monthly living allowance, annual leave and medical insurance; UN Volunteers participating in this programme are also entitled to participate in trainings and capacity building events.